Detailed Tips for Basic Care of Fine Jewelry
Fine jewelry is a precious possession that is designed to last a lifetime. However, proper care is required to assure the lasting qualities of your jewelry. Below are some simple guidelines for the care and cleaning of fine jewelry.
Basic care tips:
- Store your jewelry in a clean, dry place.
- Keep your jewelry in a fabric-lined jewelry case, or in a box with compartments and dividers. If you prefer to use ordinary boxes, wrap each piece individually in soft tissue paper.
- Don’t jumble your jewelry pieces in a drawer or jewelry case – this can cause scratching.
- Be careful when removing your jewelry to wash your hands. Do not leave your jewelry on the rim of a sink where it can easily slip down the drain. It can be helpful to keep a small dish designated for your jewelry near the sink.
- Visit your jeweler every six months to have your jewelry professionally checked and cleaned. We will check for loose gemstones, worn prongs, and general wear and tear.
- There are many types of small machines on the market that will clean jewelry in a matter of minutes using high-frequency sound. These machines are called ultrasonic cleaners and are available in many different models and prices. They can be a convenient way to quickly clean your jewelry at home. However, ultrasonic cleaners can damage some jewelry and prolonged use may loosen gemstones from their mountings. Your local jeweler can tell you if an ultrasonic cleaning machine is right for your jewelry wardrobe and, if it is, recommend an appropriate model.
We sell a professional foam jewelry cleaner, which is safe for all gemstones. Stop by and we can give you a demonstration.
Contact us with any questions.
We’re The Uptown Jeweler – Stop by and see us soon!